Crucial SSD reset
Turned on my Lenovo W540 with Crucial SSD in it the other morning and was confronted with an evil black screen -
A power cycle of the SSD is done as follows, takes about ~1 hour to complete.
- Power off the system.
- Remove all power supplies (ac adapter then battery for laptop, ac adapter for desktop)
- Hold down the power button for 30 seconds to close the circuit and drain all components of power.
- Reconnect all power supplies (battery then ac adapter for laptop, ac adapter for desktop)
- Turn on the system and enter the BIOS (see your manual for the steps to enter the BIOS)
- Let the computer remain in the BIOS for 20 minutes.
- Follow steps 1-3 and physically remove the SSD from the system by disconnecting the cables for a desktop or disconnecting the drive from the junction for a laptop.
- Leave the drive disconnected for 30 seconds to let all power drain from it.
- Replace the drive connection(s) and then do steps 4-8 again.
- Repeat steps 1-4.
- Cross fingers and start your computer normally and run Windows.
I was very surprised when it worked, having tried it once before a year and a half earlier with no success. That time I had to do some horrible thing with connecting and disconnecting the power cable from a desktop PC.