Sardinian Lamb Pilau
- about 100 ml olive oil
- 1.4 kg diced lamb, preferably shoulder
- 1 diced onion
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- generous pinch salt or to taste
- 1 cup vernaccia or other dry white wine
- 4 cups hot lamb or veal stock
- 500g fregola or risoni
Heat some olive oil in a large, heavy casserole and soften onions then garlic. Set aside.
Brown lamb cubes in batches with a bit of salt and pepper seasoning, perhaps use 2 pans.
Add rosemary, bay leaves, garlic, onions and salt and fry for a few minutes, stirring well to combine.
Add wine and bring to the boil. Lower heat and simmer, covered, for about an hour or until lamb is tender.
Half-an-hour before serving, add stock to the stew and bring to the boil. Add fregola.
Stir well, cover tightly and cook in a preheated 180°C oven for no more than 20 minutes.